The new iPad, heat issues, wifi issues addressed

     As many of you, I have seen countless reports "issues" cropping up with "The New iPad".  The first being that of heat.  They (sites like consumer reports) say that the new iPad can run much hotter; 10 - 15 degrees F.  In my usage of the iPad I have not noticed any extra warmth on the outside of my device.  Granted, I use it mostly for reading/e-mail with the occasional game; desktop tower defense genre, Words With Friends, and Hero Academy being my favorite.  However, I have spent time playing more graphically intensive games like Infinity Blade and Bowmaster HD with no more noticeable warmth on the outside of my device.  Some say that it gets too warm, as many laptops, to be used in your lap.  My response to that is, "How many of you lay your tablet device down in your lap?"  I, for one, never do.  I think the real issue will be if we see these devices start failing from the increased heat / heat dissipation issues.  Then I think we will have something to get upset about.
     As for wifi connectivity, I see people complaining about signal strength.  My question here is, does the actual strength decrease or is it just a relative difference in the display?  I haven't done benchmarking yet, but have not had any noticeable slowdowns compared to my MacBook Air when in different parts of my house or place of work; even if the signal strength display shows differently. 
     Finally, battery.  These suckers are a lot more powerful doing as much stuff as a laptop.  That alone makes me quell at the reports that the battery isn't enough; better than any laptop I have ever had (even my Air).  Yes, the charging may continue past 100%, but a software fix will be coming shortly; I am sure. 
     So, for my experience, I think things are on par and that I have got what I paid for.  The best tablet device currently available for what I want to do with a tablet.

Comments

Dave Kemick said…
I agree with everything you said, Steve. Regarding the heat in particular I haven't noticed any differences from my iPad 1 even while playing demanding games like Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy.

Alternatively I recently used my old Droid X's navigation app to get to Pittsburgh and I think just using GPS with that device warmed it up enough that I could have cooked lunch on it.

Sometimes it seems like Apple products in particular are scrutinized at such a high level that even very minor (and in many cases unnoticeable) variances between product releases are blown out of proportion.

Thanks for posting your post on Google+, I'm looking forward to future posts!

Popular Posts